This term got some attention in a few blogs last month. What exactly is a data rock star? A steward who understands both the complex intricacies of data management as well as the larger business challenge. A data rock star can provide guidance on both the IT and business side on how to make the data work for the business.
The author of “Data Quality From The Ground Up” suggested attributes and behaviors to further define and clarify a true data rock star.
- Excellent communicator of business and IT concepts using common language
- Ability to link information to business value
- Seeks out and is receptive to advice and continuously provides the opportunity for others to provide it
- Understands the link between clarifying expectations and how that will lead to success
- Ability to engage and enthuse others, understands and considers body language, communication preferences, motivations and needs of others
- Spots opportunities and takes advantage of them, especially in ways that others are unaware of
- Pushes the boundaries in order to change things and does so in a way that others are unaware the boundary is being pushed
- Exerts authority and uses it appropriately – all the while smiling and engaging others
- Identifies key success measures from both business and IT perspective
- Is well liked and respected – this will ensure access to resources, tools, other stakeholders, hidden information and will help pave the way through political and cultural roadblocks
- Able to articulate solutions as practical and logical and tie them directly to group/organizational goals
The elevation of data experts and their importance to marketing and the entire organization is another reminder to keep working on your own database. Is there anything that we can do to help you with your customer list?